Fine-Tune Your Buoyancy and Trim
With the Peak Performance Buoyancy/Perfect Buoyancy
1 Day, 2 Dives
Why would I want to take this course?
This specialty course is THE course that ALL divers should take. Buoyancy control is the key to diving, period.
There are many reasons for perfecting your buoyancy:
- Improves overall dive safety
- See more underwater life by staying motionless
- Maintain stability to take better underwater photos
- Ability to stay motionless and adjust position using only breathing control – even upside down
- Easier to view critters hiding under ledges and in holes in the reef
- Longer dive times
- More efficient gas consumption
- Protects the reef and local environment
- Reduces risk of “silt-out” or creating low visibility in confined spaces such as swim-throughs and wrecks
We like to make this course fun with a series of games that we practice in a beautiful, sandy area.
Buoyancy control is a lifelong practice that you’ll continue to improve throughout your diving career. If you do no other specialty course, do THIS one.
Prerequisites & Requirements
- Must be at least 10 years old
- Adults (15+) must have their Open Water Diver Certification or be certified to dive to a maximum depth of 60 feet/18 meters
- Youth ages 10-14 must have their Junior Open Water Certification or be certified to dive a maximum depth of 40 feet/12 meters
- Requires reading course materials prior to instruction
- Course duration is 1 day
The Peak Performance Buoyancy course includes 2 open water dives (and an optional confined water session) where you will practice these skills:
- Proper weighting and weight distribution.
- Breathing control and how to use both your internal BCD (your lungs) and external BCD (your equipment).
- Good trim to minimize the surface area that you present to the water—reduces drag and improves gas consumption.
- Efficient fin kicks and techniques.
- Hover in different positions that allow you to be able to get up close and personal with sea creatures without harming yourself, them, or the reef.