Turn Your Passion into Your Profession
With the Divemaster Certification Course
6+ weeks, 60 logged dives
Why would I want to take this course?
If you’re ready to grow into your skills as a dive leader and join the ranks of the professionals, then this intensive training program is for you. Upon completion, you will demonstrate a mastery of diving skills that qualifies you as a professional diver.
Am I ready to become a Divemaster?
When you complete your Divemaster course, you will be responsible for the safety and comfort of other divers, and this takes a certain level of maturity and willingness to take on the responsibility for other people’s lives.
There are some people who assume that after logging a certain number of dives, becoming a Divemaster is just the next step—that’s simply not true. Many experienced divers choose not to become Divemasters even though they might be perfectly capable of completing it.
Once you become a Divemaster, you can never NOT be a Divemaster. This completely changes how you will dive, so this course is not for everyone and that is ok!
Career Development Center (CDC) vs Independent Dive Center (IDC)
CDCs focus on completing many certifications at multiple levels and as fast as possible. You will learn all of the required standards and have at least the minimum experience required by all certifying organizations. If you’re short on time and funds, then with a CDC you’ll be able to complete your course in 4 weeks (or even just 2 weeks).
IDCs set their own pace, which means that the course may take longer and cost a bit more. However, you’ll be able to take your time with your instructor and mentor, and you’ll develop your skills beyond the minimally accepted standards. If you choose to go with an IDC, we highly encourage you to visit the dive shop in person to make sure the staff and program are a good fit for you.
Divemaster Training at Pro Dive Roatan
When you complete your Divemaster course you will be responsible for the safety and comfort of other divers, and we want you to lead with the confidence that you are well prepared and relaxed and ready to take on that responsibility.
At Pro Dive Roatan, we take our time to make sure that you not only meet the minimum requirements, but are truly ready to join the professional ranks. If you are concerned about gaining valuable experience and becoming a thoroughly experienced dive professional, then our course may be just right for you!
Prerequisites & Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Minimum of 40 logged dives prior to starting the course
- Adults (18+) must have their Open Water and Advanced Open Water certification (certified to dive up to 130 feet/40 meters)
- Must have completed the Rescue Diver/Stress and Rescue course
- Must have current EFR/React Right certification or proof of qualifying and current CPR/First Aid certification
- Requires reading course materials prior to instruction
- Course duration is 6+ weeks
Here are all of the sections of the Divemaster course:
- Complete 9 knowledge reviews
- Complete 2-part exam
Complete an Emergency Action Plan
Complete a Rescue Assessment
Complete a Water Skills Assessment
- 400 yard/meter swim
- 15 minute tread water
- 800 yard/meter snorkel swim
- 100 yard/meter diver tow
- Equipment exchange
Complete a Dive Skills Workshop and Assessment
- 24-skill circuit
Complete Practical Application Skills
- Dive site setup and management
- Mapping project
- Dive briefing
- Rescue scenario
- Deep dive scenario
Complete Divemaster conducted Programs and Workshops
- Scuba Review in Confined Water
- Skin Diver Course and Snorkeler Supervision
- DSD in Confined Water
- DSD in Open Water
- Discover Local Diving
Complete Practical Assessments
- Open Water Students in Confined Water
- Open Water Students in Open Water
- Continuing Education (Specialty) Students in Open Water
- Certified Divers in Open Water
Meet the Professionalism Criteria
Complete all of the course sections plus:
- Minimum of 60 logged dives
- Have current EFR/React Right or Equivalent (<2 years)
- Agree to the Professional Membership Standards and Agreements
- Documented experience in: